DURING THE PANDEMIC, THE CHURCH IS CLOSED. WE WORSHIP EITHER IN PERSON IN THE FELLOWSHIP GARDEN AT 10AM OR ONLINE (YOUTUBE, NOT LIVE), AT YOUR CONVENIENCE. OUR ONLINE PRESENCE INCLUDES BOTH A TRADITIONAL SERVICE AND A FAMILY SERVICE. SEE LINKS ON OUR HOME PAGE TO BOTH THE RECORDED AND IN-PERSON SIGNUPS.
Where to go?
We have two entrances to the church. The main one is at 600 Ninth Street, between Greenleaf and Central Avenues. Parking is available on any of those three streets. We also have a rear entrance, which is the handicapped entrance, accessible through the alley and our parking lot behind the church. There is an elevator at the parking lot entrance only. We ask that on Sunday mornings, that lot be reserved for individuals with handicaps, families with infants, and our members and visitors for whom walking is more difficult.
How do I find my way?
Once inside the church, we hope you will feel comfortable asking any of our greeters, ushers or members for help in finding where you need to go. Our sanctuary is up one level from either entrance. Adult education and Sunday school classrooms are either in our lower level or our second floor. Our lower level contains the Wallace Moore Fellowship Center which is where we gather after church for Fellowship Hour. We hope to meet you there! There are also restrooms on all levels.
What is the worship service like?
We tend to have what is considered a traditional worship service at 10 am with singing of hymns, scripture readings, and a sermon. The service is usually one hour. If it is a communion Sunday, which falls on the first Sunday of the month, as well as some others, all are welcome. Presbyterians practice an “open table” where all who are open to Christian faith are welcome. We have pews for wheel chairs accessibility and large print bulletins for those who need them. Members tend to dress in a variety of ways, but most are more traditional. Casual dress is fine as well. Seating is not arranged in any particular way, so sit where you like.
The beach service in the summer is smaller in attendance and more casual. It can be more interactive, so are great for kids and teen.
What about children and youth?
- In 2020 we are trying a pilot program where all ages have Sunday School before worship, from 8:45 to 9:45am. With the introduction of children into the worship service every week (Sunday School for children used to be during worship), we now have support for families during worship to navigate this new program. Children can have worship bags, journals, and there is a quiet soft space near the front of the sanctuary for kids who need to stretch their legs. It is a trial period, so we are working out the bugs, and appreciate feedback! Children are brought into the worship each week in creative ways, like helping with communion, teaching a song, etc.
- Children are welcome at all worship services!
- An infant nursery is located on the landing of the stairs going to the second floor. This is available through 3 years of age.
- Preschoolers through 4th grade meet for Sunday School anytime between 8:45-9am in the yellow room on the 2nd floor.
- 5th and 6th Graders (called Club 56) meet in the purple room on the 2nd floor
- 7th and 8th Graders meet as a Confirmation class every Sunday (during the school year) at 8:45am for breakfast and class. They also enjoy sitting together in the balcony for worship after their class ends.
- High School youth, whom we refer to as “Tower” students, meet Sunday evenings for dinner, and faith & fellowship activities.
Other Sunday morning activities:
We offer an Adult Faith Formation class every Sunday morning at 8:45am. All are welcome! There is child care available in the nursery during this time.
After worship is a Fellowship Hour in the lower level for you to meet some of our members in a casual environment. In the summer months, this fellowship is held on the lawn next to the church.
We hope you find our Sunday mornings to be full and rich of worship and activities. We welcome you!